Read the full list of demands from Movement 4 Black Lives, here.
We demand investments in the education, health and safety of Black people, instead of investments in the criminalizing, caging, and harming of Black people. We want investments in Black communities, determined by Black communities, and divestment from exploitative forces including prisons, fossil fuels, police, surveillance and exploitative corporations. This includes:
- A reallocation of funds at the federal, state and local level from policing and incarceration (JAG, COPS, VOCA) to long-term safety strategies such as education, local restorative justice services, and employment programs.
- The retroactive decriminalization, immediate release and record expungement of all drug related offenses and prostitution, and reparations for the devastating impact of the “war on drugs” and criminalization of prostitution, including a reinvestment of the resulting savings and revenue into restorative services, mental health services, job programs and other programs supporting those impacted by the sex and drug trade.
- 20222022.12.20The Long History of Residential Segregation in Buffalo
- Fight for the City2021.11.17Demands grow for Byron Brown’s ouster from Democratic National Committee
- Fight for the City2021.11.16The City of Buffalo’s Untapped Power to Discipline Police Officers
- Fight for the City2021.11.03The history that explains why a democratic socialist may be Buffalo’s next mayor